If you’re expecting a baby, have you started making a list of things you must do? For instance, choosing a hospital or midwife for the birth, selecting a name, and getting your home ready to welcome the little one. Have you started getting advice from other parents on what furniture to buy, which clothes are practical, and where you can find the best deals on baby supplies? Surely, someone would have mentioned getting your car ready for the arrival of your baby. Here are a few simple yet important ideas to help baby proof your car.
- Get used to the idea of having a companion in your car, an adorable little one at that. Looking out for the safety of your baby must become an automatic, spontaneous action at all times.
- Little they may be, but that is precisely why children would need a special car seat of their own, for their safety. By law (of the American Automobile Association), newborns, infants, toddlers, and children up to the age of 16, depending on their height and weight, must be restrained in an age-appropriate car seat or with a securely fitted seat belt.
- For the first two years of your baby’s life, a comfortable and good quality rear-facing car seat is recommended. Read the instruction manual or take the help of experts and learn how to latch on and remove the car seat, and also how to buckle and unbuckle your child from the seat.
- Every time you place your baby in the car seat ensure they are securely fastened in their seats. Never leave your child unattended in the car, not even for a few seconds.
- Before moving your car from any parking spot, make sure there are no children near it, walk around it and check all sides of the car.
- Inside the car, baby proofing requires you to check if there are any loose metal parts, broken toys, coins, etc., that can be choking hazards for your baby. Also, remove any toxic chemicals or car cleaning and maintenance products from the reach of your children.
- To keep your car clean and safe always stock environment-friendly wet wipes or washcloths and a bottle of water. Because spills and messes cannot be avoided, it is wise to be prepared.
- Essential baby supplies such as wet wipes, washcloths, baby food, sterilized bottles, baby medicine, a change of clothes and some soothing music, must be kept ready at all times in your car.
- Automatic features like window locks, self-closing trunks, and self-closing doors, while being convenient, are also dangerous with child passengers in a car. Ensure children do not put their heads or limbs outside the windows or doors with such automatic innovations and put themselves at risk.
- Use sunshades or window tints to keep your child protected from direct sunlight while they ride in the car.
Well, before all that, have you switched over to a practical car yet? If not, you could start there.